We specialize in rehoming animals that have been surrendered to us by their owners. These orphaned pets (and their former owners) are treated with compassion, kindness & respect.
To ensure that animals find permanent, loving, responsible homes, Snake River Animal Shelter’s adoption process is as follows:
1. To view our adoptable dogs at the shelter, you must provide a completed adoption application to get pre-approval. Apply in person or at the link below. If you submit an online application, please come see us and let us know. No appointment is required to adopt if you visit us during business hours (must be present in the shelter at least 30 minutes before our closing time to give us time to process your application). We also take private appointment during the days that we are closed! Just call us at 208-523-4219 to arrange.
Apply to Adopt a Dog! All adoptions are first come, first serve but fill out an application saves time!
2. To view our adoptable cats at the shelter, please visit the shelter and let us know that you’re looking for a feline friend! No pre-approval is needed to view our cats.
Apply to Adopt a Cat! All adoptions are first come, first serve but filling out an application saves time!
3. Once a staff member reviews your application and determines that you’re pre-approved to adopt a pet, you’ll select up to three adoptable animals to meet and potentially take home! You’ll receive adoption counseling during your meet-and-greet so that we can get to know you and help determine which pet is perfect for you!
4. If you have small children, other adults and/or dogs living in your home, you will have to bring them in for a meet-and-greet with your potential new pet. We require a meeting between any dogs in your home & your new potential dog (this only applies to dog adoptions). If this meeting needs to be arranged, you can place a 24-hour hold on the animal for $20 (which goes toward your adoption fee. Holds are not available for puppies and kittens under the age of one).
5. If you do not have anyone in your household (including pets) that need to meet your potential new pet, and you’ve fallen in LOVE, you’ll let our staff know that you want to take your new furry friend home and we will process a final adoption contract or a foster-to-adopt agreement (the latter only applies if the animal isn’t neutered/spayed).
Due to the potential for our animals to contract potentially fatal diseases and increase their kennel stress, our shelter dogs can only be viewed by adopters with pre-approved adoption applications. If your school, club, or business would like an educational tour, please email email@example.com to arrange!
We are closed Sunday-Tuesday but are available for private adoption appointments for pre-qualified adopters! Simply call us at 208-523-4219 to arrange or send us a message thru our Facebook page!
Due to the cost of processing, refunds are not offered. If you need to return your adopted animal for any reason within 14 days, you will receive a certificate for the amount paid which can be used towards the adoption of a different animal within one year.
If the adoption is not a good fit or is not working out for some reason, the adopted pet may be returned to the Snake River Animal Shelter within 30 days from the date of adoption by the original adopter. Sorry, no refunds or gift certificates will be given. Please call 208-523-4219 to arrange your return. If you choose to leave your animal at our shelter in an inhumane way, including abandoning the animal on our property crated or tied without notice, you will be banned from future adoptions and volunteer opportunities at SRAS.
If it is past the 30-day return window, you agree to contact the Snake River Animal Shelter to surrender the animal. At the time of surrender, you will be obligated to pay the current surrender fee. If we cannot take in the animal immediately, you agree to home the animal until we can take it in. You also agree not to give away, sell or trade this animal, or otherwise abandon it.